The Daily Python questions are levelled as follows. It’s my experience that nearly all students are capable of coding at level 3. Some students need help to progress to subsequent levels.
The following are based on my department’s experience in teaching coding. You may disagree with the levels, you may wish to use them as a starting point for further development, either way, I’d be very interested to hear your opinion.
The level numbers start at 3 to fit in with the old KS3 levelling system.
- Output Strings and numbers
- Concatenate Strings and numbers
- Use variables
- Perform simple arithmetic operations
- Prompt for user input
- Use if statements with Strings
- Use if statements with numbers
- Use if else statements
- Understand difference between addition and concatenation.
- For loops
- A list
- Concise Comments
- Boolean operators AND OR NOT
- Counts and iterations while loops
- Nest if statements
- Functions and parameters
- Nest for, while loops
- 2D Arrays
- Modular programming
- Self-documenting code: high level commenting